The Other Side is a 13-part half-hour documentary series that follows a team of paranormal investigators who, with the guidance of an Aboriginal Elder, seek the truth behind real life ghost stories and the most unsettled spirits in Canada.
SEASON 5 TRAILER:
BEHIND THE SCENES:
ONSCREEN TEAM BIOS:
Jeff Richards, Intuitive
Jeff is a busy father of four little boys, but he’s also a well-known mentalist and intuitive. His extremely sensitive readings of people amaze audiences and drive listeners to his paranormal radio show. But even more amazing is his ability to juggle the demands of parenting with the constant and pervasive contact with the unseen. While it’s sometimes mentally and spiritually draining, he chooses to keep sharing his gift and forging ahead – with one foot planted firmly in this world and one in The Other Side.
Michaella Shannon, Investigator
Michaella’s encounters with death have driven her to pursue as many life-affirming activities as she can squeeze into one young life – working on suicide prevention, addictions awareness and self esteem with young people. But behind all the activity, a question mark still burns. While her career path moves her toward criminal law, there’s a path running parallel to it, searching for answers. She’s composed on the surface – but get to know her on The Other Side, and you’ll see there are depths of character to explore.
Tom Charles, Elder & Spiritual Guide
Legend has it that Tom’s skill as a tracker in the North doesn’t just come from experience – his keen intuition seems to come from somewhere else entirely. Every search is an attempt to heal the gaping wound of loss and bring answers to those who desperately need them. Tom keeps the show on its true path with his quiet determination to bind up loose ends and bring peace to the living and the dead.
PRODUCTION TEAM BIOS:
Jennifer Podemski, Producer
Jennifer Podemski is an award-winning actor and producer whose career has spanned over three decades. Well known for her starring role in Bruce MacDonald’s acclaimed feature film Dance Me Outside, she has also appeared in Riverdale, Degrassi TNG, Sarah Polley’s Take This Waltz and Blackstone, among numerous others. Jennifer’s first feature film as a producer, Empire of Dirt (in which she also appeared), garnered 5 nominations at the Canadian Screen Awards. Behind the camera, Jennifer owns and operates Redcloud Studios Inc., an independent production company based in Barrie, ON. She also dedicates her time to mentoring Native youth across Canada and the USA, facilitating workshops on self-awareness and goal setting.
Wally Start, Producer
Wally Start is owner and executive producer of Angel Entertainment and Bamboo Shoots. He is an innovator with a proven track record of nurturing and growing successful production companies and creating outstanding international content. Angel’s portfolio includes the TV series Rabbit Fall, which was nominated twice for DGC’s Best Dramatic Series category, and the feature films Shadow Puppets, Stained, Big Muddy (TIFF 2014), and Empire of Dirt (TIFF 2013). Whether Wally is working on feature films or TV series, from concept to delivery, he is a hands-on producer – in the writers’ room, on set and in the edit suite. But that doesn’t mean he’s a control freak; on the contrary, he is a great collaborator always looking to co-produce with like-minded producers. Wally injects each project with the same drive and passion that has helped propel Bamboo Shoots and Angel Entertainment into two of western Canada’s leading production companies.
Saxon de Cocq, Director
When Saxon isn’t working with commercial clients, he keeps busy by writing, directing and editing his own short films. Saxon’s most recent short film, The Invincible Sgt. Bill, aired on CBC in the spring of 2017. Over the last two seasons Saxon has had the privilege to travel across Canada directing a number of episodes of the nationally broadcasted TV series, The Other Side.
Francis Laliberte, Director
Francis Laliberte is a Media Artist of Cree decent who started work writing, directing, and editing videos that addressed the topics of Suicide Prevention, Addictions, and Healing. Three of his short films have won 5 film festival awards.
He has experience in movies, TV and commercials as a Production Assistant, Grip, Digital Imaging Technician, Assistant Director, and Director.
Francis started as a Production Assistant and Grip during The Other Side season 3 and has directed 12 episodes and AD’d 11 episodes of The Other Side seasons 4 and 5.
Luke Hutton, Director
Whether as a Director, Editor, DP or Writer, Luke has been crafting award-winning visual stories for nearly 2 decades. He is a graduate of the the University of Southern California’s world-renowned School of Cinema-Television and his directing credits include series drama, series documentary, long form broadcast documentaries, music videos, museum installations, reality TV, and TV ads. In addition to his work in the field Luke is currently a full time professor of film production and screenwriting at Niagara College where he helps a new generation of filmmakers craft award-winning work.
JJ Neepin, Director
Jenna (JJ) is a Cree First Nation’s Director and Writer living/working in Winnipeg, Manitoba. JJ has written and directed several documentary short films including CBC’s Headdress that had its world premiere at the 2017 Hot Docs Film Festival. She has also directed for several episodes of various documentary television programs. JJ has training/apprenticeship in Directing via the Academy of Canadian Cinema & Television’s Women Directors Apprenticeship and the Women in the Directors Chair – Story & Leadership program.
TOS IN THE NEWS:
- APTN enters competitive streaming market with paid service, APTN Lumi, City News, Sep 2019
- Paranormal investigators from The Other Side pay visit to Dorchester jail, Sackville Tribune Post, Aug 2019
- Model, TV host with local roots wants to inspire indigenous youth, My Lloydminster Now, Feb 2019
- Two Innisfil haunted spots featured on APTN television show, Simcoe.com, Nov 2018
- Hosts of The Other Side bring their paranormal activity to the set of InFocus, APTN, Nov 2018
- Paranormal docuseries The Other Side heads to season five, Playback, May 2018
- Looking for ghosts in Native places, Native America Calling, Nov 2016
- APTN’s The Other Side explores more ghostly stories in revamped Season 3, TV Eh?, Oct 2016
- Video contest encourages youth to submit film about afterlife, Eagle Feather News, Jun 2016
- Popular TV series brings respectful approach to investigations, Eagle Feather News, Nov 2015
- Crossing over to The Other Side, CTV Saskatoon, Oct 2015
- Jeff Richards, host of APTN’s “The Other Side” joins us to set up season two of the series, CTV News, Oct 2015
- A live-streamed paranormal investigation event prepares viewers for second season of THE OTHER SIDE, Channel Canada, Oct 2015
- Investigating the paranormal, CTV Saskatoon, Oct 2015
- A Prairie Haunting: Other Side back for season two, Star Phoenix, Oct 2015
- Exploring the Paranormal, Global Saskatoon, Oct 2015
- Live-stream of paranormal investigation launches S2 of APTN’s The Other Side, TV Eh?, Oct 2015
- Season 2 of The Other Side Returns Oct. 31st to APTN, TV Eh?, Oct 2015
- Canadian paranormal investigators spooked on Halloween shoot, Playback, Oct 2014
- Paranormal team investigates Saskatoon’s Park Town Hotel, CBC, Oct 2014
- Une équipe d‘enquêteurs paranormaux à l’hôtel Park Town de Saskatoon, Radio Canada, Oct 2014
- Regina Morning Live with Jeff Richards, CTV Regina, Oct 2014
- TV crew goes in search of ghosts at Park Town Hotel, Global News, Oct 2014
- The spirits move them…again and again, Winnipeg Free Press, Sept 2014
- APTN wants prairie paranormal stories, Eagle Feather News, Mar 2014
- Paranormal investigator Jeff Richards, CBC Regina, Morning Edition, Jan 2014
- The Other Side explores the haunted places of Western Canada, Metro, Nov 2012
- APTN turns to “The Other Side,” Real Screen, Oct 2011
- The Other Side – Season III Wraps Shooting in Western Canada – June 22, 2016
- TOS Web Series Contest Press Release – June 16, 2016
- The Other Side II – TV Launch Media Release – October 16, 2015