Extra Research for Season 5 – Episode 8 – Love U Brat
Nested into Georgetown PEI, the Kings Playhouse was originally built in 1887 as a place to hold both town council meetings and cultural events. The building became the heart of a small coastal town, knitting communities together in celebration, helping them survive long, cold winters.
While Georgetown itself wasn’t officially incorporated until 1912, it was first settled by Europeans, mostly French, in 1731 when King Louis XV of France granted approximately 35,000 acres to the ‘Compagnie d’Est de l’Ile Saint Jean,’ – a company headed by a man named Jean Pierre Roma – in the Three Rivers area. The township and surrounding areas ebbed and flowed until the 1830s, when the postal service, a central courthouse and a ferry Paquet all helped to establish Georgetown as a prominent township up until the early 1900s.
Georgetown has a long history as a bustling harbour town. In the 19th century, it was best known as a commercial centre for both the county and the entire island. At the time, the main economy was from shipbuilding activities, which often attracted a variety of immigrants and wayfarers to the area looking for work. This also brought a lot of crime to the area, which was often shrouded in misfit and mystery.
In 1983 a massive storm blew through the coast. The storm caused a fire that saw both the Kings Playhouse and the marine terminal burn beyond repair. However, for the Theatre, the community rallied together and saw it rebuilt almost 14 months later.
– Jane Caulfield
Photo Credit: Georgetown PEI, Kings Playhouse